By-laws/Standing Rules Committee
S/C Vern Bendsen - Chair
S/C Joan Marsh
S/C Mike Billington
S/C Linda Breninger
S/C Fred Rutledge
Director Roger Beebe
ARTICLE VII OFFICERS
The Secretary-Treasurer shall be appointed by the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors can appoint a qualified person who is not a PICYA Delegate or a yacht club member to the position of Secretary-Treasurer.
The by-laws have no provisions to appoint a Secretary-Treasurer if there is no PICYA Delegate that qualifies for the position of Secretary-Treasurer. By amending Section B, the PICYA Board can appoint a qualified person who is not a PICYA Delegate or a yacht club member to the position of Secretary-Treasurer.
By not adding the proposed amendment to the by-laws, PICYA could end up not having a person who is qualified to be the Secretary-Treasurer.
ARTICLE VIII DIRECTORS
The Board of Directors shall consist of twelve eleven members. They are:
A. The three elected Officers of the Association with the President as the Chairman Chairperson of the Board
B. The immediate Past President
C. The Secretary-Treasurer
C. Seven elected Directors
In 1998, the PICYA By-laws stated that the Board of Directors shall consist of eleven members. In 1999, the PICYA by-laws stated that the Board of Directors shall consist of twelve members. The twelfth member is the Secretary-Treasurer. There is no record that the PICYA Board of Directors ever made that change in the by-laws. The PICYA Board of Directors are voted into office by the PICYA Delegates. The Secretary-Treasurer is an appointed position.
By not amending the by-laws, the by-laws remain as is with no record of change for the Secretary-Treasurer’s position on the Board of Directors.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF OFFICERS
The PICYA Administrative Secretary (while not an officer is an independent contractor) shall provide administrative support functions for the Association including all secretarial functions, at the direction of the President. These duties shall include but are not limited to the following:
(1) Provision of administrative assistance to the President.
(2) Recording the Minutes of the monthly meetings of the Board of Directors and the Assembly of Delegates; and the publishing and distribution of said Minutes to these respective bodies.
(3) Dissemination of notices of the next meeting of the Board of Directors and to Delegates of Member Clubs, including time, place and agenda; in addition, to distribution of E-Blasts of current issues and communications to member clubs.
(4) Preparation and maintenance of communication reports and records of the Association; including but not limited to receipt of member clubs dues to the Association.
(5) Maintenance of supplies for secretarial activities, provision of email and mailing addresses for Association business and maintenance of the administrative assets of the Association as the Board of Directors may order.
The PICYA Secretarial Consultant (an Independent contractor) shall provide administrative support functions for the Association including all secretarial functions, at the direction of the President. These duties shall include but not be limited to those items enumerated in the current Independent Contractor Agreement.
PICYA does not have any employees. Section E as written implies that the Administrative Secretary is an employee ever though it states that the position is for an independent contractor. The title, Secretarial Consultant, does not imply that that position is an employee.
Leaving Section E as is; the term Administrative Secretary will continue to imply that PICYA has an employee. That could have a negative impact on PICYA with varies governmental agencies.